“Wherever you go – go with all your heart”.
Armenia is one of the oldest nations in the world and it’s location is in south Caucasus region of Eurasia. It is bordered by Turkey to the west, Georgia to the north, the de facto independent Nagorno-Karabakh Republic and Azerbaijan to the east and Iran and Azerbaijan’s exclave of Nakhchivan to the south.
It is the first country that officially accepted Christianity as a state religion in 301. It’s major/state religion is Armenian Apostolic Church. According to Armenian tradition, their church was founded by the two of Jesus Christ’s twelve apostles – Saint Jude (or known as Judas Thaddaeus) and Saint Bartholomew between 40-60 AD.
It was springtime when I travelled to the country. I stayed in a hostel, the location is great center in Yerevan, Tumanyan Street. It was still cold that time during night and early in the morning but noontime is warmer when you’re in direct sunlight. There were few rain showers too. Spring season in central area and south is approaching a warm weather during the month of March. Well, the weather in Armenia will vary from region to region and that time at northern part was too cold. The mountains in those areas are still covered with snow that will about to melt.
Related posts: Out of my comfort zone – Armenia.
As I mentioned in my previous blog, I booked my ticket and hostel 3 weeks before my flihgt. It was just a short preparation but did some quick research about Armenia. I booked a flight at Musafir.com gone to Airarabia Airlines and in OneWay Hostel for my shelter.
Related posts: Is travelling solo really alone?
Here where I share my DIY itinerary while exploring some parts of Armenia. Thanks to my found friends there and been my travel buddies.
Note: Please click those in Italic letters for the view/photo. 🙂
MY FLIGHT and DIY ITINERARY
DAY 1: UAE to Armenia
– Detailed post (to know more about my day experiences: like visa, getting lost and a must do things/tips kindly read my separate blog): Armenia – Day 1.
- 8:50 > departs at SHARJAH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- 12:00 > arrived at ZVARTNOTS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- approx at 13:30 hours > reached ONEWAY HOSTEL at Tumanyan St. Yerevan
- SAINT SARKIS CATHEDRAL OR SURB SARGIS
– Detailed post: Armenia – Day 2.
- Breakfast at the HOSTEL
- REPUBLIC SQUARE the central town square in Yerevan
- VERNISSAGE MARKET the large open-air market in Yerevan
- EJMIATSIN/ETCHMIADZIN or VAGHARSHAPAT (the fourth largest city in Armenia)
- The CENTRAL KOMITAS SQUARE
- ETCHMIADZIN CATHEDRAL
- HOLY MOTHER of GOD CATHEDRAL of 1767
- SAINT GAYANE CHURCH in 630
- KOMITAS PALACE of CULTURE in VAGHARSHAPAT
- ZVARTNOTS CATHEDRAL
- IRANIAN BLUE MOSQUE
- ARMENIAN RESTAURANT
- OPERA THEATRE at night
– Detailed post: Armenia – Day 3.
- SASUNTSI DAVID TRAIN STATION
- KHOR VIRAP (located near Lusarat, Ararat Province)
- GEGHARD MONASTERY (near Goght, Kotayk Province)
- GARNI TEMPLE (Garni, Kotayk Province)
- YEREVAN at night
- IRANIAN RESTAURANT
– Detailed post: Armenia – Day 4.
- BUS TERMINAL at Yerevan outside Opera Theatre
- BUS TERMINAL to Sevan Lake (forgot the name of this terminal and the name is written in Armenian letters)
- SEVAN LAKE Gegharkunik Province
- Some fun at OneWay Hostel kitchen
- YEREVAN at night again
– Detailed post: Armenia – Day 5.
- OneWay Hostel
- 12:05 > ZVARTNOTS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- 15:00 > SHARJAH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
For tips see Few things to consider when travelling to Armenia.